system requirements - specific memory question

Read 3558 times
i don't see it listed in any of the system requirements bit we're looking to run centova alone on a linux platform and setup a windows server for automation. i don't want to spend more than i have to on (2) VPSs so my question is - minimum requirements for ram?

2 cores, 512mb and more than enough storage for centova alone is $4. increasing the ram up to 1gb will take me to $20 a month.

so - if we're running centova and liquidsoap for autodj functions (unless you now setup something else due to liquid soap stopping at random) and ONLY that on the server, will 512mb be enough for centova/liquid soap?

thanks!

jerry
Hello iceberg,

We do not recommend bottom of the line VPS for Centova Cast, simply because it's natural that hosting providers would need to cram a hole lot of them per physical server, in order to get back any kind of return on investment. This practice usually leads to overcrowding, which in turn leads to under-spec performance and other irregularities.

If you really can't afford anything more expensive than $4/month, and you can overlook the ocasional hiccup, and you are not planning on serving more than say 50 to 100 listeners, then you will probably be fine with that option, however, if you were to look around a little more for a better option, you could probably find something in the middle like a 1GB RAM VPS for roughly $10/Month.

HTH
ok - that's what i figured but wanted to check. in this case the hosting provider is a friend of mine but i believe this is a reseller type service, so your core issue remains and valid.

what i needed to know. the 50-100 limit, well, we're not there yet so if we could potentially be "ok" up to around 50 concurrent listeners then it's an option. not sure if worth it in the end as i agree, not that much more to do it right. i'm just checking all my options so appreciate the input.
next question -

i'm looking at combining "Airtime" and "Centova" on the *same* Linux box so i can get enough to hold both and be happy. HOWEVER -

Airtime requires a Linux server running Ubuntu 12.04 or Debian Wheezy

Centova:
CentOS 6/7 (or equivalent RHEL release), or
Debian Linux (Stable branch recommended)

would Wheezy 64bit work for Centova? Or would putting both the Centova Server and the rotation manager on the same server? if i can do this then i don't need a windows system for station playlist to do it.
I've used Wheezy for nearly every install of centovacast ever.  Jessie gave me some hiccups so ended up reverting (due to dependencies).  From what I understand if you want to run cpanel/whm side by side centos would be a better bet (not sure if this is something you'd consider but it opens more doors/possibilities for you if you do.