Same Box, Same Port, Different IP #

Read 3677 times
So today I kind of goofed and created two accounts, both V1 servers on the same box, both with the same port number, but different IP numbers. I realized what I had done, and before I could get in to correct it, I realized that both accounts were streaming... on the same port, each with its own number of listeners.

I didn't know this was possible and thought once the port was used, it's used (especially with v1). Was I wrong, or did I stumble on something that shouldn't have happened?

IP #1 - port 8002
IP# 2 - port 8002
same dedicated server

Thoughts?
Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:42:15 pm by kahfluie
As long as you do not bind your servers to 0.0.0.0 you will be able to use
192.168.2.6:8000 and 192.168.2.7:8000 and they will function as two separate servers.
I honestly did not know that. Thanks for the reply!
Each IP address has a total of 65535 ports available, 1.2.3.4:8000 is not the same as 2.3.4.5:8000, and you can have hundreds or even (theoretically) thousands of IP addresses on a single system as long as they don't overlap, that is just how the IP protocol works :).

As the previous reply stated, as long as you don't bind to 0.0.0.0 (which  means all available interfaces/addresses) you should be able to do what you just did for every IP address that is available on your system.

HTH