just cannot get live broadcasting to work

Read 9204 times
hi all,

ok - we've been scratching our heads for days on this and we just cannot get the live broadcasting to work.

we have created a dj account and restarted the server - as per a previous posting.

tried butt 0.1.13 and 0.1.14 - configured it as per a few websites instructions.  using port 8010 as per the quicklinks page on our stream. using the ip address of our server for the hostname - as per the quicklinks page.  basically everything as per the quicklinks page.

fire up butt and try to connect - it sits and sits and then a message pops up saying:

"could not create network socket"

so try it on both a windows and mac box - same thing.

we turn off our firewall and watch the outgoing connections and from our router logs, the request is going out.  turn on our firewall and watch the router logs, again the request is going out.

we have also tried Mixx - same thing.  it just doesn't connect.

so we figure the issue may be on the centavo install.  gone through the centova admin screens and have everything set up as per the quicklinks screen.

after all that we are stumped.   Are there any secret configs that we need to change either in the centova admin or in the centova install that allows for incoming live broadcast requests?

we just cannot get it to to work, and live broadcasting is an important aspect of our station (as we are a college station).

any ideas?

thanks

graham

What are you using?  Shoutcast or Icecast?

If you are using Icecast, what are you using for the mount point?
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
Thanks for the reply...

We are using Shoutcast. and

A bit of an update from my original message...we are using Centova Cast v3.1.1.

The info from our quicklinks screen is below (i have put X in the place of our ip):

---------------
Live Source Connections
Enter this information into your live source software to perform a live broadcast:

Server hostname:    x.x.x.x
Maximum bit rate:    128 kbps

If your live source client supports modern SHOUTcast v2-style source connections:

Server type:    SHOUTcast v2
Server port:    8010
Username:    (The username of one of your DJ accounts)
Password:    (The password for your DJ account)
----------------

We did some further experimenting yesterday, even though the quicklinks screen (above) says use port 8010, we tried using port 8011 and that connects.  Remember port 8010 just sits there hanging and hanging and then errors out (as per my first message).

So butt connects using server port 8011 instead.   then i hit the small triangle button in butt that starts the live broadcast and it starts streaming the data up, but our live dj broadcast on centavo cast still stays on.  my understanding is that the live dj will fade out and the stream from butt will come on.   that doesn't happen.

so we stop the live dj on centavo cast and we try and connect with butt again.  but the centavo cast just crashes and we have to reset it.   the butt is set to stream mp3 at 128 kbs - the same as our live dj stream. but the centova cast stream just crashes and the whole thing needs to be reset.  incidentally butt keeps pumping up the live stream

we checked the server ram and there is more than enough.  we have also checked the usage restriction times in the dj config on centavo cast and they are fine. 

any other people out there using butt?   what did you do to get it working?   i have found heaps of doco on installing and configuring butt and also how to get centavo cast working - but haven't found any troubleshooting doco.

thanks

graham
You have to be using Icecast for the auto-DJ to step aside automatically. Shoutcast is incapable of telling the auto-DJ to step off. Icecast can, and that's why it steps aside automatically, and why Shoutcast requires that you manually engage and disengage the auto-DJ.
You have to be using Icecast for the auto-DJ to step aside automatically. Shoutcast is incapable of telling the auto-DJ to step off. Icecast can, and that's why it steps aside automatically, and why Shoutcast requires that you manually engage and disengage the auto-DJ.

Just to clarify, this is only the case for Shoutcast 1 type stations, for Shoutcast 2.x and Icecast you can connect from a live source without having to manually stop the autoDJ, just make sure you follow the instruction in the quick links page.
Did not know this about Shoutcast DNAS 2.x, useful to know.

Also, we just went through this ordeal and we had Liquidsoap as our auto-DJ. When we removed this user account and set the new stream up with ices-cc as the auto-DJ, the problem immediately went away and our DJ's each got in on the first try.

We don't know why Liquidsoap was uncooperative where ices-cc was immediately compliant, but we did demonstrate that which auto-DJ subsystem you chose will have an affect.
I had recently customer who wants to connect to shoutcast through Butt.

From that what I see Butt doesn't support shoutcast 2 protocol so the only way to connect is to make a connection to djport v1

Then in Butts password field you write details like: username:password