Actual Disk Usage

Read 7347 times
Rather than have to login and type in DF command to check my total disk usage I think there should be a graph to show actual disk usage rather than what is allocated out -- I am sure I am not the only one to over sell :)
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Quality SHOUTcast Hosting http://myautodj.com
SHOUTcast Widgets http://shoutcastwidgets.com
I'm not sure why is this an inconvenience, Centova Cast gives you the actual disk space utilization which is what you need to calculate how much space is left in your drive.

For example if you know that the size of the partition where the user files are stored is 1000GB, and Centova Cast reports 100 GB of 300 GB used, you know you have 900GB available, it doesn't matter if you allocate 300 GB or 2000 GB to your stations, Centova Cast will still report 100GB used, so you still know that there are only actually 900 GB left available on your drive.

For other scenarios, such as when you share the server with other services/panels, you could simply setup something like logwatch to send you a report of your disk space available once a day.

HTH
Hi Roger -- we use clouds/vps's only now, dedicated servers are a hassle, but all have different sizes, as they near the space limit we just add more resources (with other providers charging $1/month we have to cut corners to make a profit) so I have no idea how much any given server has unless I DF it, even the few dedicated we have I have no idea how much space they have as there is other software on them like cPanel/WHM so adding up the quotas up would not help)
Yes I guess we could set a automated alert up but it's normal for some servers to stay at 90%+, one we have had for 3+ years with the same clients and it has been at 97% since 2012, and we get enough alerts and emails as it is. Centova v2 had the actual disk space usage and it would be nice to just see that on the Centova admin page, which we constantly goto, lately mostly checking on mobile devices (I guess I could install Putty for Android or something!)

But I do understand not everyone is like My Auto DJ as it looks like Ricky-GWS is the only other supporter of this!
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Quality SHOUTcast Hosting http://myautodj.com
SHOUTcast Widgets http://shoutcastwidgets.com
Hi Roger -- we use clouds/vps's only now, dedicated servers are a hassle, but all have different sizes, as they near the space limit we just add more resources (with other providers charging $1/month we have to cut corners to make a profit) so I have no idea how much any given server has unless I DF it.

Well, if you don't keep a record of the status of your servers I guess that is true, but you'll still have to login to Centova Cast each time you want to check the disk space, so is just a different login.

even the few dedicated we have I have no idea how much space they have as there is other software on them like cPanel/WHM so adding up the quotas up would not help)

Like I said, for this scenario you're better off setting up logwatch or somesuch anyway.

Yes I guess we could set a automated alert up but it's normal for some servers to stay at 90%+, one we have had for 3+ years with the same clients and it has been at 97% since 2012, and we get enough alerts and emails as it is.

Then setup a daily report not a warning.

Centova v2 had the actual disk space usage and it would be nice to just see that on the Centova admin page, which we constantly goto, lately mostly checking on mobile devices (I guess I could install Putty for Android or something!)

I get that it would be nice of course, but unfortunately our development road-map is based on popularity.

But I do understand not everyone is like My Auto DJ as it looks like Ricky-GWS is the only other supporter of this!

If I were to guess, I'd say that most of our clients who manage multiple servers already have other means of monitoring resources that are more effective, personally I use a script that concentrates the reports from logwatch, so I can always be up to date on resource usage of all my servers with a single glance.

HTH