Unabld to resolve DNS for license1.centova.com

Read 8792 times
Is anyone else having this issue? It is happening on all of our servers. Right now we can't even log onto the server and get a page cannot be found error:

Starting Centova Cast: cc-control Unable to resolve DNS for license1.centova.com (No address associated with name).  Check your DNS resolver settings.
- failed

We had it happen to one server yesterday (In Canada), and now today we see it on our servers, in Texas, Washington, DC and New Jersey. These were fine when the Canadian server had the issue.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Same problem.

I have checked a few things and it appears Centova changed their DNS or it was down recently, as we cannot connect from any server or network when pinging licence1.centova.com.
Im hoping for a speedy recovery.   ;D
We were able to fix this... we had to clear the cached DNS on our server(s).

Depending on what you have as the service, the  commands may be different.

For our Canadian and New Jersey servers we used:

# service named restart

and for our Texas, Washington, DC servers we used:

# service nscd restart

Once it was flushed (restarted), I simply restarted CentovaCast:

# /etc/init.d/centovacast restart

And life was once again good :)

There may be other commands, depending on which service you have running on your server, and as always I cannot say this is fix the issue for everyone - but is worth a try
One our servers is getting this error...

Tried running  service named restart

Then ran centova restart... But still getting the same message.
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
DJFire... try

service nscd restart

When you tried the service named restart, did it tell you OK on the stop and start? If yes, then don't try nscd... there may be something else going on.
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:02:19 am by kahfluie
I ran service named restart, and yes, thats the correct one...  gives message  stopping / starting..
Running nscd, just gives the unrecognized service message.
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
Sounds like there may be something else going on then... I know yesterday, when I put a ticket in, I was informed that the registrar suspended the Centova domains by mistake. They are back up, but perhaps the propagation is still ongoing. Still might be worth submitting a ticket to see if there's anything else going on.
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:21:28 am by kahfluie
Yeah, I recently submitted a ticket... how long I wait for a reply, is the question.. -_-
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
After doing a quick edit to our resolv.conf file, and switching a few things around... restarting named then centova, we got it cleared up...
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
Please accept my sincere apologies for this issue.  By way of explanation:

I know yesterday, when I put a ticket in, I was informed that the registrar suspended the Centova domains by mistake.
That's correct.  We have 4 geographically-dispersed nameservers to avoid any kind of DNS outage, and our registrar, in their infinite wisdom, went and suspended all of our domains which rendered all 4 nameservers completely useless.

In a nutshell, the registrar decided to verify our WHOIS contact information by contacting our (heavily spam-filtered, but valid) public WHOIS email address, and the verification emails were not received on our end.  The registrar didn't bother to notify us of the situation at our primary email address on file with them (at which we normally receive all important correspondence from the registrar) until the very last minute (and on a Sunday, no less) and then proceeded to arbitrarily suspend all of our domains the next day due to the lack of verification.

We acted immediately to correct the situation when we realized what was happening (and subsequently submitted a letter of complaint, as I feel that it was ridiculous that this should have happened at all), however it is the nature of DNS that changes to the nameservers registered for a domain can take up to 24hr to propagate.  And if you're using a caching nameserver, you may (as noted by kahfluie) want to clear your DNS cache to speed up the process.

Everything should be back to normal at this point, however -- in fact, if you can access forums.centova.com to post here, then you are clearly able to reach the centova.com nameservers.

I ran service named restart, and yes, thats the correct one...  gives message  stopping / starting..
Running nscd, just gives the unrecognized service message.

If you're still seeing this today, then it's likely that your DNS resolver has cached the changes made by our registrar and is (incorrectly and in violation of RFCs) ignoring the TTL they've specified, thereby causing your server to still see our domains as "suspended".  There could be other causes, but that's by far the most likely.

FYI it's important to note that the error message you're seeing is ONLY a DNS resolution test.  We happen to use license1.centova.com as the hostname to check as part of the test (simply because we know that license1.centova.com is a hostname that should always resolve) but the test is not actually licensing-related.  So if you're getting this error message, then your server is definitely unable to resolve DNS (be it for any domain, or just for centova.com).

Yeah, I recently submitted a ticket... how long I wait for a reply, is the question.. -_-
If you opened it within business hours, you'll get a reply within about 2hr, or often sooner.
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:44:52 am by Centova - Steve B.
I guess you missed my last post there, which was:

Quote from: DJFire_CFR
After doing a quick edit to our resolv.conf file, and switching a few things around... restarting named then centova, we got it cleared up...

;)
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner