Artist Separation - Important For Licensing

Read 7948 times
An option to make sure two or more songs in a row are not by the same artist. If your product is going to be used by professionals it needs to be easier to conform to copyright laws. Even with several playlists and many songs, it still happens sometimes. It should be a simple query when pulling the next song, if it's the same artist, select another random song etc.

Here are things that are prohibited http://www.streamlicensing.com/directory/index.cgi?action=page&page=faq

Playing a specific song within one hour of a request by a listener or at a time specifically designated or requested by the listener.

Publishing any advance program guides or using the chat/discussion function or any other means to pre-announce when a particular song will be played or the order in which songs will be played.

Intentionally playing more than three songs (and not more than two songs in a row) from the same recording or compact disc within a three hour period.

Intentionally performing or causing to perform more than four songs (and not more than three songs in a row) from the same recording artist or anthology/box set.

I would highly suggest takinh a look at streaminglicensing.com and see what can be added to make it easier to be legal. Or there is no point to use this when it might be too difficult to maintain.
Sadly I guess I can't use Centovcast. I just don't think it's being tailored toward being used in a professional  capacity. It has great features but missing things that are crucial for being "LEGAL". If your station gets big or even noticeable THEY WILL MONITOR YOU. I'm not paying penalties or fines because my software doesn't work right. Others might not care but I am going to be pushing Apps and services. All these misc feature requests that users want means nothing if you can't broadcast without breaching DMCA rules.
I have too many times had an artist play back to back or within a couple of songs of each other. What are the odds that out of 100 songs in a playlist that it randomly pics the same artist twice and that artist only has 2 song in the playlist?? It's happened with different ones man times.

Apparently this is never going to be added because it's been complained about for years probably even further back than 2011 if you look hard enough.
http://forum.loudcity.net/viewtopic.php?pid=31978#p31978

The development is too slow and can't wait around for things to get better as I have a business to run. Looks like I will be using a desktop version Sam or Radiodj. These other programs have that ability.Might not be as convenient but it will perform how it needs to. Even cloud based shoutautomation.com has that feature in their custom control panel. Only reason I'm not using them is i don't need a service I just need the software. 

I also don't like the paranoia that the software is encrypted so you can't even make the adjustments yourself by getting a dev to fix that. So we have to wait on you. In addition to my already opposing license checks on owned licenses is useless and unnecessary point of failure.
Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:04:16 pm by tolew1
An option to make sure two or more songs in a row are not by the same artist.
This is a perfectly valid request, and we do have plans to implement it, but it is also a duplicate so I'm closing this issue.

It has great features but missing things that are crucial for being "LEGAL". If your station gets big or even noticeable THEY WILL MONITOR YOU. I'm not paying penalties or fines because my software doesn't work right.
Fair enough, but please bear in mind that yours is not the only music licensing authority in the world, and this is not a universal requirement.

I have too many times had an artist play back to back or within a couple of songs of each other.
...which, under the very terms you quoted, is perfectly valid for two reasons.

Intentionally performing or causing to perform more than four songs (and not more than three songs in a row) from the same recording artist or anthology/box set.

First, you'd need to have at least 4 songs by the same artist play in a row to exceed the three-song limit.  Statistically, it's exceedingly unlikely that this would happen on anything but the rarest of occasions.

Second, the terminology explicitly uses the word "intentionally", and lawyers don't use words like that if they're conveying a hard-and-fast rule.  Exceeding the three-song limit on a rare occasion due to a software limitation is not intentional.

What are the odds that out of 100 songs in a playlist that it randomly pics the same artist twice and that artist only has 2 song in the playlist?? It's happened with different ones man times.
Pretty good odds, actually, if you're familiar with probability theory.  You may be interested in the birthday paradox.

Looks like I will be using a desktop version Sam or Radiodj.
I also don't like the paranoia that the software is encrypted so you can't even make the adjustments yourself by getting a dev to fix that.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm unclear on how moving to another proprietary solution is going to alleviate that concern.

In addition to my already opposing license checks on owned licenses is useless and unnecessary point of failure.
I addressed this the other thread you opened about it.
"Fair enough, but please bear in mind that yours is not the only music licensing authority in the world, and this is not a universal requirement."

Though not universally necessary, and despite licensing concerns, the ability to limit playback times by more than unique song/title would be universally useful to those with, and without licensing concerns.  I'm sure it doesn't need to be spelled out; and as for your bottom line well, you're business people.  Here's what we need:  Artist & Album control similar to RANDOM_UNIQUE_PERIOD.  Mind you, may not save me the time and effort of having made my own modifications by the time the features are added (fingers crossed), but it certainly raises the bar for a logical win/win...