HOWTO GUIDE: Sym link to larger parition with cPanel/WHM Installed

Read 3662 times
After many hours of searching these forums AND Google, testing, binding/unbinding, rebooting blah blah blah I've found a way for cPanel/WHM and Centova v3 to co-exist in the same environment and use the larger partition that cPanel stores data to WITHOUT binding.

As laid out in this document (http://www.centova.com/doc/cast/internals/files) mounting and binding to a different partition is great if you've only got centova on your server; not if you've got WHM installed.

If you're a user like myself, then the following will help you sym link so that users can use your /home directory.

*This is an existing centova v3 installation using the default installation method. If you're installing a new copy, use the default install  (./install.sh <options>). There is no need to change your vhosts path as it will still live on your / drive*

*I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT SCREWING UP. MAKE SURE THE DIRECTORIES YOU'RE MOVING FROM AND TO ARE CONFIGURED TO THEIR CORRECT PATHS AS PER YOUR SERVER*

Step 1:
Stop all servers in Centova cast panel

Step 1.1:
Stop Centovacast using  /etc/init.d/centovacast stop

Step 2:
Copy your vhosts directory. Just in case you mess it up
cp -rf /usr/local/centovacast/var/vhosts /home/backup (or where ever you want)

Step 3:
Move your current vhosts directory.
mv /usr/local/centovacast/var/vhosts /home/

Step 4:
Create sym link
ln -s /home/vhosts /usr/local/centovacast/var/vhosts

Step 5:
Start Centova up again /etc/init.d/centovacast start

If you did this correctly, everything should be working again as intended, only now your vhosts live on your larger partition instead of your tiny partition.

Something as simple like this shouldn't be hard to find around here but sadly it is.
Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:27:50 pm by espressokid
As laid out in this document (http://www.centova.com/doc/cast/internals/files) mounting and binding to a different partition is great if you've only got centova on your server; not if you've got WHM installed.

Just to amend this comment, the mount-bind method works fine with WHM/Cpanel installed on the same server. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you but we have tested this extensively without an issue.

If you're a user like myself, then the following will help you sym link so that users can use your /home directory.
If you did this correctly, everything should be working again as intended, only now your vhosts live on your larger partition instead of your tiny partition.

Note that for security reasons, not all Centova Cast's services can follow symlinks. This will most likely result in broken features, hence it is not recommended.

HTH
Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:14:53 am by Roger