tips for properly configuring your server for massive amounts of listeners?

Read 4935 times
Hey guys.  Any tips on server config settings to be able to handle large amount of listeners.?

I found this online via SomaFM suggested.  Looks like he is still using shoutcast v1. I have 2.2.1 and made these changes...

From director of SomaFM

"Some notes on sc_serv v1 - you should be able to get 5000 concurrents on a decent box with no problem. You'll need to do some tuning possibly, a big issue is making sure your ulimit is set correctly. Here are some notes I have on tuning Ubuntu for sc_serv with lots of capacity:

verify that the following are all set to the default value of 1; this command will show the results:

/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling
/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps
/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_sack

We add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf :

#sc_serv tuning for sysctl.conf:

net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries = 2
fs.file-max = 798200
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=25
net.core.rmem_max=16777216
net.core.wmem_max=16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 87380 16777216
fs.file-max=798200

Then run sysctl -p to load those changed values.

#Increase the ulimit for maximum open files
#Add this to /etc/security/limits.conf

shoutcast hard nofile 10240
shoutcast soft nofile 10240
root hard nofile 10240
root soft nofile 10240

###In /etc/pam.d/su add or uncomment the line
session required pam_limits.so

These should be similar for other Linuxes.

Note that you can see a really high load on a sc_serv box and it will still stream OK.

FYI- We use Intel E3-1230 V2 CPUs in our streaming servers. You should also make sure you have a motherboard with a good ethernet chipset. We're using Supermicro SYS-5017C-LF boxes which have Intel LAN controllers. "

previously I had a issue with my setup.  I got 350 concurrent listeners and my shoutcast shutdown.  Turns out my ulimit was 1024.  So I changed that to 10240 and also did the above config settings.  (I think they override your regular ulimit config file?)

anyway anyone here run a box that has a lot of concurrent listeners?  Any tips you can give on certain settings?  I learned the hard way that setting the listener amount in centovacast does not do any good if your system settings are not configed properly.
I should also mention i havent hit over 350 again to see if the above worked.  I have been hangin around 200-300 recently.  Hopefully i can get that up to see if I can go past that 350 wall I had before
No one has any tips on configuring your server?
I need this information too.

Anybody has tried it?

GroovinMind, have you contacted with SomaFM?

best!
I have done the above to my debian server , yes.

So far so good.  I havent gotten past 350 to really tell if its helping.