Broadcast Live From Browser

Read 9502 times
It would be a vast improvement to have the option to broadcast live from a browser or some such interface that would take the sound from the users sound card and push it to the stream.  This would eliminate any need for 3rd party applications to be downloaded by the user.
Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:52:49 pm by Museter
this is a good point.. I wonder why centova never developed their own client to broadcast?

Not sure if the browser based client is a good idea. I would rather have my own standalone app.
Seems like the web is moving to more of a browser based form of broadcasting where a third party app is not needed.  The AutoDJ can be used to run your station but all that is needed is some form of feature to allow the broadcaster the ability to connect and push sound from their sound card when doing live events.  It would make things mush easier in my opinion and clients would not have to rely on third party app.  Of course they could still use any 3rd party app if they wanted to.  This would be a feature to simplify the broadcasters life by allowing them to broadcast audio via a computer using a web browser.  I could see cell phones being used to broadcast live shows, news, sports etc..  All they would need to do is attach a mic and connect to their stream using the browser interface and be live in seconds.  I think it would be a vast improvement to having to download a third party application.
Here is an open source program that can be used on linux servers.  Using this as a starting place and integrating into centovacast might be an option...
http://butt.sourceforge.net/

GroovinMind and you please place a vote for this feature to be added?

LiquidSoap is another program that might be used to broadcast from browser I believe.
yea but something like BUTT is so much better than using a bloated web browser.

liquid soap is awesome!  I am developing my own software using liquid soap. 
It would be a vast improvement to have the option to broadcast live from a browser or some such interface that would take the sound from the users sound card and push it to the stream.  This would eliminate any need for 3rd party applications to be downloaded by the user.
technically a web browser is a 3rd party app

;)
It would be a vast improvement to have the option to broadcast live from a browser or some such interface that would take the sound from the users sound card and push it to the stream.

I'm not sure the technology is there for this yet.  HTML5 audio is still in its infancy.  As best I'm aware (although I have by no means investigated thoroughly) the HTML5 audio APIs *implemented* in current browsers only support raw and WAV output.  You need MP3/AAC audio to source a stream, and no, it's not practical to transcode it on the server side because sending raw/WAV audio to a server would be bandwidth-prohibitive.

I believe Flash has slightly better support for this, but my understanding is that it only supports recording discrete MP3 files -- you can't create an ongoing stream with it unless you're sending it to a Flash media server like Wowza or FMS (and if you were using one of those, you wouldn't be using SHOUTcast, would you? :) ).

this is a good point.. I wonder why centova never developed their own client to broadcast?

Same reason why we've never developed any of the other streaming software supported by Centova Cast -- our product is a control panel; we leave the streaming to the existing tools that do a great job at it rather than trying to do a mediocre job at a million different things.

Here is an open source program that can be used on linux servers.  Using this as a starting place and integrating into centovacast might be an option...

butt is just a bog-standard live source like any other (SAM Broadcaster, Darkice, etc.)  It has nothing to do with browser-based broadcasting.

LiquidSoap is another program that might be used to broadcast from browser I believe.

Again, liquidsoap is just another source application, although it supports both autoDJ mode like ices/sctrans and live mode like SAM Broadcaster/Darkice/etc.

It's a great product and you'll see support for it in Centova Cast soon, but again, it has nothing to do with browser-based broadcasting.