do not repeat tracks - option for playlists

Read 11882 times
Hello everyone.

So far Centova Cast does a great job randomizing tracks and playlists, however, statistically it is still possible that tracks from the same playlist are played more than once within a relatively short period of time, and this may not be desirable for some DJs.

It'll be nice to have a "never repeat tracks" option, to check at will within the playlist settings.

Another approach could be something like, shuffle before play in order. Which may be easier to implement.

If you think this feature could be useful, post your comments below.
Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:43:22 pm by Roger
I would love to see that, specially for Auto DJ.   At times I do listen in to my station, and hear so many repeat artists with in such a short amount of time.  Which according to all those big wig copyright places, is a big "no no".

Example:  I would hear Rammstein play, then ACDC, and then Rammstein again, a few songs inbetween (bout 3 ) and then Rammstein again.

Need to have something like "Do not play same artist with in:  time here"

Example:  Do not play same artist with in: 60mins  (at least a minimum of 60 mins, even if its requested)
If the artist already played with in that time limit and someone requests that artist, it should leave a message such as  "artist already played, please request another song" (Or something to that extent.)
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
in version 2 you could upload the songs and they were randomized automatically. if I have then inserted into a playlist I could play it in sequence order. so the playlist repeat only after all tracks was played 1 time. in v3 this does not work anymore?  :o

(hope it was comprehensible because my bad english)
I have all the songs in each playlist sorted by artist alphabetically, so that we can check (we have a big spreadsheet of which songs are in which playlist, so we can adjust for special events/promotions, etc). After getting them back in alphabetical order, the repeat artist seems to be worse, but it's on different days. As though it plays 4 songs 20-40 with 3-4 other songs inserted in, then 4 songs 40-60, etc. I'd have to assemble the logs to truly calc the statistics, but that's what it seems like. Fortunately we have about 40 scheduled playlists throughout the week that throw it off, and help keep it random.

Michael Roark
Radio Free Joshua Tree
centova team please check: in v2 all tracks was insert randomly. and in v3 not. see pic:
http://www.soundstorm-radio.com/playlist.jpg
This is something we all would like to see.. Rules in the AutoDJ... When it would be address... Steve I prey for you  8)
maybe included in the next update...?  :)
statistically it is still possible that tracks from the same playlist are played more than once within a relatively short period of time, and this may not be desirable for some DJs.

It's not really a statistical issue, it's a matter of whether or not you have enough tracks in the playlist.

Centova Cast has a minimum interval (configurable by the admin) during which it will do everything it can to avoid playing the same song more than once.  But if, for example, you have set up a general rotation playlist with a high weight value such that it works out that it should activate 6 times per hour, and you only have 3 tracks in the playlist, then yes, you are going to hear one of those 3 tracks 6 times per hour, leading to a lot of duplicates.  Centova Cast is just honoring your playlist rules in this case.

Aside from situations like that, you will never hear the same track twice within the no-repeat period unless you've got multiple copies of it on disk.
Having the same issue. However, after searching google, Centova Documentation and browsing through all the options, cannot find anything relating to "a minimum interval" as previously posted by Steve.

Could you please give some information of where I might find this option?