VPS Suspended due to High Load issues (CentovaCast v3.0)

Read 17103 times
My VPS provider has suspended me again apart from cPanel the only application i have running on my vps is CentovaCast v3.0.

I thought all load issues had been resolved so i reinstalled CentovaCast 3.0, i had been suspended before when i had the earlier build installed.

My provider sent me the following;

=================================================================

You Current Load: 8.54/7.10/4.52 (1 min 5 min 15 min)
Your maximum load consumption: 4.00

=================================================================

I do not intend to reinstall again untill centova can assure me that v3.0 will not create more load issues

Anyone else still having high load issue???

George
Nope, it runs on our VPS with a load of:

But it matters on what your VPS configuration is.  Ours is 4 vCores & 4 Gigs of memory.  Probably a lot larger than yours.

With the correct set-up, it shouldn't take very much resourses. 
No problems here either, SC's right, depends on the resources allocated for the VPS, it should not effect the main server load.

I had it running since last night night, and even during compiling it barely registers.  A couple spikes for a couple minutes, so I'm looking for the process now to post. but overall, even with 100+ connects, no load. with ices
my direct email is cage@linuxcage.org
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments,

No problems here either, SC's right, depends on the resources allocated for the VPS, it should not effect the main server load.

I had it running since last night night, and even during compiling it barely registers.  A couple spikes for a couple minutes, so I'm looking for the process now to post. but overall, even with 100+ connects, no load. with ices

Nope, it runs on our VPS with a load of:

But it matters on what your VPS configuration is.  Ours is 4 vCores & 4 Gigs of memory.  Probably a lot larger than yours.

With the correct set-up, it shouldn't take very much resourses. 

I am now setting up a VPS with more memory & changing node as i think the node i was on was also some of the problem

Will then try again

George
Yes the load for me is also fine -- however as soon as I start running icescc auto dj -- with either SHOUTcast1 or Icecast the load jumps a lot higher. It's not overloaded but if I run any more it will be. WIth only SHOUTcast2 and SC_TRANS load just hangs around the zero mark.
Steve is there a way you can run SHOUTcastv1 with SCTRANS ? I don't think the playlist scheduler will work but could it still be a option?
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Quality SHOUTcast Hosting http://myautodj.com
SHOUTcast Widgets http://shoutcastwidgets.com
just to clarify this myth that keeps going around... sc_trans will work with a v1 or v2 DNAS (it by default runs in v1 mode) so sc_trans to a legacy v1 DNAS will work.

-daz
Yes it (SHOUTcast 1 and sc_trans) also works with the older Centova v2 but it is not a option in v3, that was my question to Steve -- if it could be
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Hi all,

Have now setup a new VPS on a different node, have now installed CentovaCast v3 on the VPS

Load issue on this Node at present is a lot lower

load average: 0.48, 0.29, 0.22

Will keep you all posted with progress

George
as soon as I start running icescc auto dj -- with either SHOUTcast1 or Icecast the load jumps a lot higher. It's not overloaded but if I run any more it will be. WIth only SHOUTcast2 and SC_TRANS load just hangs around the zero mark.

I find this really, really hard to believe, assuming you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison.  You have to make sure that:
  • both tests are performed simultaneously (so there aren't any external factors affecting either test)
  • sc_trans2 is transcoding local MP3 files and sourcing the server normally -- NOT REBROADCASTING A LIVE SOURCE CONNECTION!
  • sc_trans2 is generating an MP3 stream, not AAC+
  • both sc_trans2 and ices are sourcing just ONE mount point (remember that if you have it sourcing two mount points, it'll use double the CPU time)
  • both sc_trans2 and ices are encoding at the same bit rate

Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass, I decided to look into it just to make sure.  I ran a comparison between ices-cc and sc_trans2 on two different servers and got the results below.  This is with all autoDJs set to 128kbps 44KHz MP3, one encoder (one mount point), with "top" set to a 5-second interval.  Obviously this isn't a controlled, scientific test, but I can say that it's representative of my experience with sc_trans2 and ices.

Server 1:
Code: [Select]
  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
14265 ccuser    20   0  232m  10m 3116 S 19.3  2.6   1:15.29 sc_trans
29381 ccuser    20   0 29160 6100 1336 R 13.4  1.5 517:35.34 ices
29375 ccuser    20   0 26136 2984 1304 S  0.3  0.7 474:09.30 ices

Server 2:
29684 ccuser    20   0  171m  13m 3104 R 10.4  2.6   1:15.99 sc_trans
28679 ccuser    20   0 26064 2832 1640 S 10.2  0.5   4:22.43 ices
16529 ccuser    20   0 25584 2412 1628 S  0.2  0.5 113:17.08 ices

As you can see, at best I recorded a 0.2% CPU utilization difference between sc_trans and ices, and at worst I recorded a nearly 6% difference between the two (in ices' favor).

sc_trans also uses *much* more memory than ices -- on one server there is nearly a ten-fold difference in shared memory utilization (and more than double the private memory utilization) between sc_trans and ices.

I also compared disk utilization between sc_trans2 and ices using "iotop", but the results were so boring as to be irrelevant... as you'd expect, you get a periodic block read every now and again (to read MP3 content from disk) and other than that, everything remains idle at 0 KB/s.

You'll also note that there is a third ices process in each of the above, with dramatically lower CPU utilization.  That's because ices is smart enough to autodetect when an MP3 file is already encoded at the correct bitrate/samplerate, and in this case, it does NOT go through the process of decoding it and then re-encoding it again -- it just uses it verbatim.  So on streams where users have pre-encoded their media with the correct parameters, ices CPU utilization can actually approach 0% while doing the *exact same job* as sc_trans.

Now, back on point, the reason I take issue with My Auto DJ's comments is because I have NEVER seen a situation where sc_trans2 was actually *doing* something, yet showed near-zero CPU utilization.  As best I'm aware that simply does not happen, which leads me to believe there is a flaw in his measurement technique.  It's possible that My Auto DJ performed his measurements while sc_trans was rebroadcasting a live source, which is NOT an accurate comparison -- the moment you connect to sc_trans with a live source, sc_trans' CPU utilization drops dramatically.

Having said all that, I'm not hating on sc_trans2 -- sc_trans2 offers FAR more features than ices, so it may be a worthwhile tradeoff... but make your choice based on functionality, not performance, as ices' performance ranges from "on par with" to "better than" sc_trans2 in every situation I've encountered.

Steve is there a way you can run SHOUTcastv1 with SCTRANS ? I don't think the playlist scheduler will work but could it still be a option?
There's no technical reason we couldn't do that, but IMHO it's pointless -- SHOUTcast DNAS v2 is a much better product than DNAS v1 (and is more actively maintained), so it makes sense to just use DNAS v2, which is already supported in Centova Cast for use with sc_trans v2.   Unless of course there is a specific reason why our client base would PREFER to use v1 over v2...?
Load issue on this Node at present is a lot lower

load average: 0.48, 0.29, 0.22
George
Honestly, load average tells you nothing useful about the performance of the autoDJ software.  It's basically a measure of how many processes are waiting for CPU time, and you can't assume it's caused by a specific process unless you see a correspondingly high resource utilization (eg: via utilities such as "top" and "iotop") in that particular process.
- I think if there are not any listeners on sc_trans there is little load -- please seem my screenshot -- icesscc is 3 times higher load vs sc_trans

http://myautodj.com/load_adv.JPG

these are all auto dj's running --- you also have the server access if you want to take a look, when I start and run the 2 icescc auto dj's I have the cpu load goes way up
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
i actually think Steve's tests are very helpful as no one has generally been able to provide a like for like between sc_trans and something else (i know it's not fully scientific but doing on the same host is about as good as it's going to get generally anyway). and as things are different between one machine and another, the fact it's done all on the same machine is good (and actually gives me something to target for down the road).

the main thing that comes out which i do agree with is sc_trans shouldn't transcode input media which is already at the correct bitrate and is something i've noted down a while back (but requires some hefty changes to get it to not transcode unless needed).

with the higher memory and cpu usage, i cannot explain the memory other than it's likely from it using a lot more for buffers, etc but the cpu usage i know of a few things which can be leading to it being higher (which i've tweaked internally) but since the two are using different encoding libraries to my knowledge, that would explain some of it (like i know the AAC library now used uses more but gives better AAC output than the previous library used, so the same could be in effect with the MP3 encoding).

am not saying what it does at the moment is right (would love for it to be a lot more VM friendly) but then as it's beta and not been loved as mush as it should be when being started over from scratch, it's not as bad as i thought it was going to come out as being with the numbers that have been provided.

i don't get the whole keeping on v1 thing - yes i know it seems to freak out &/or confuse people that you have to get an authhash (with too many people referring to old sites rather than the official docs and then bitch at me there's no where to sign up) and that it's now oh so more difficult to run. yes the bugs in the current public build can cause issues but it should not be true once you have a build which doesn't have the bugs and can be used as a straight drop-in replacement of the v1 dnas.

with the authhash side of things, i've made changes so it is going to be automated now for the next release (unless explicitly disabled) which makes it just like running a v1 dnas but without the issues a v1 based listing has (changing stationid and the possibility of being incorrectly merged with another station - the authhash resolves that as there is finally a fixed piece of information so issues like i've mentioned do not happen). so connect source and as long as it's been setup correctly (how hard is it to specify 2 passwords? since that's all is needed at it's most basic) then it will just run and list itself without issue.

so is good to know someone out there sees the sense in not supporting the v1 dnas over the v2 dnas (even though i'm somewhat behind on a new public release) as officially v1 is not supported anymore (is 4years+ now since it last saw an update).

-daz
- I think if there are not any listeners on sc_trans there is little load
Unless I'm unaware of some fundamental element of how sc_trans v2 works, I don't think that's the case.  The source shouldn't have any knowledge of how many listeners are connected to the server -- it just performs its job of sourcing the server regardless of whether anyone's connected or not.

That seems to be confirmed by simply tuning in to one of the streams while watching the CPU utilization of its sc_trans process -- it doesn't change.

please seem my screenshot -- icesscc is 3 times higher load vs sc_trans
Oddly enough that does in fact seem to be true, and your configurations do seem to be identical.  But I haven't a clue why you would be seeing the polar opposite of the resource utilization I'm seeing.

I can't help but wonder if maybe there are some CPU optimizations or somesuch that ices is not taking advantage of... it hasn't been updated in quite some time, after all, and transcoding is a very math-heavy procedure.  All of the machines I've been testing on use AMD processors whereas you're using an Intel CPU -- I should run some tests on Intel machines and see if I can reproduce what you're seeing.
please seem my screenshot -- icesscc is 3 times higher load vs sc_trans
I am completely and totally stumped by this.  On a whim I took a peek at one of our third-party VPSes that we use for redundancy and it happens to use the *exact* same CPU that your VPS is using:

xxxx:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 44
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2393.998
cache size      : 12288 KB

So I copied sc_trans2, sc_serv2, and ices to that machine, and eliminated ALL of the variables I could by configuring both ices and sc_trans2 to play the same single MP3 in a loop, with both of them connecting to sc_serv2 servers (rather than ices connecting to icecast).

Then I fired them up and checked their resource utilization:

10261 root      20   0 25652 2592 1688 S    6  0.5   0:14.56 ices
10290 root      20   0  292m 8056 3048 S    5  1.6   0:11.32 sc_trans

So ices is indeed using slightly more CPU time than sc_trans on this Intel machine -- roughly the same as it's using on your machine -- but sc_trans is only using 1% less.  The stark difference we're seeing on your machine is not present here.  And on a machine with these specs, I'd expect to see about 5% CPU utilization per autoDJ... I really can't see why you're only seeing 1% utilization with sc_trans on your machine.

Weird.
Well if you liked this screenshot you'll love this one, I have the "other auto dj" that uses sc_trans & Centova v2 running the same server and it's the same way and has been for ever -- icescc always runs a higher load

http://myautodj.com/load_adv_2.JPG
Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:24:27 pm by My Auto DJ
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA