Giving Up :(

Read 9045 times
So sorry but things are just not working out with this, this morning the server crashed again, I just refunded the few clients that were left, there are simply too many problems, I had hoped things would be corrected by now but it just gets worse and worst, there's always next year :(
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Quality SHOUTcast Hosting http://myautodj.com
SHOUTcast Widgets http://shoutcastwidgets.com
With all due respect, posts like this (serious complaints which include no details whatsoever) really aren't helpful at all, and as I've stated elsewhere on the forums, the whole point of the beta is not to run production streams, but rather to assist in tracking down bugs.

I can't imagine anything in v3 that would cause a server to "crash" (guess it depends on what that means) and nobody else has reported anything along those lines.  Without any details about what exactly happened in your situation and how to reproduce, we really have no way to even begin diagnosing this, let alone figure out if it had anything at all to do with v3.
I do apologize for this post, it was a Sunday morning and it started the same as any other, with many tickets in my inbox all because of v3 . The reason I think I was having problems is because I had a lot of clients & listeners, it was @ 20 streams, and peaked over 500 listeners at one point. When you Google "Centova Cast", My Auto DJ is only 2nd to centova.com, then 3rd is SHOUTaccount.com, which is also us. No offense to any other provider but I think that is why we have problems, because we get a lot of clients, isn't that what you want so you can fully test it? A couple streams and a few dozen listeners,yes it runs great then, only when you put a lot of clients on it does it have problems, and who better than THE top provider to do that, My Auto DJ.

Steve your sitting on a gold mine, more than half of my clients use "the other auto dj system", all because they are after that DJ feature, the auto dj on it is trash, I hate it, WHMCS mod has never worked, but that does not stop the clients from ordering. What I am saying is once you do get this stable, guess how many more Centova license I will get? Nobody will want that "other auto dj"

Anyway, I do think the problem could have been the error logs, which were getting so full (500M) it was unable to write any more data to the files, if you check the last post I made it will explain a little more
http://forums.centova.com/index.php?topic=1717.0

I also noticed the user Headshaker also had similar problems so it's not just me, I am curious to know if he had  a lot of clients on it also.

I was using vps.net for my v3, 6 nodes, 2G RAM -- plenty of server resources and my other 8 servers through them hardly ever had issues so I do not suspect that was the problem.

Again Steve I am sorry, do not take it personal, who ever did develop or come up with the idea for Centova should be very proud -- NOBODY and NO OTHER PRODUCT CAN COMPARE, they don't even come close. I lost a lot of money because of all this since March 2011, remember the countdown clock, I bought a server just for that back then, and have done the same every few months since then in hopes it would be ready, built sales pages, ect, etc, that is why I get frustrated sometimes, I hate loosing $$
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
No offense to any other provider but I think that is why we have problems, because we get a lot of clients, isn't that what you want so you can fully test it?
YES!  Apologies if I was unclear or sounded discouraging; we not only want but DEPEND on clients like you, with a high volume of real-world streams, to put v3 through its paces and find the problems that casual users haven't encountered.  Your reports have been among the most helpful we've received.

All I meant by my post was that saying "I give up because my server crashed" isn't helpful because it doesn't give us any details on what happened, and thus doesn't give us any way to fix the problems.  And all I want right now is to get the damned bugs in v3 fixed, and get it to a final release!

We should be working more closely with clients like yourself, though, and while I know you've offered access to your servers for numerous other issues, I've been able to reproduce most of them here so I haven't taken you up on your offers to date.  I will be in touch shortly to arrange to work more closely with you as we move toward a v3 release candidate.

Steve your sitting on a gold mine, more than half of my clients use "the other auto dj system", all because they are after that DJ feature, the auto dj on it is trash, I hate it, WHMCS mod has never worked, but that does not stop the clients from ordering. What I am saying is once you do get this stable, guess how many more Centova license I will get? Nobody will want that "other auto dj"
Don't I know it. :)

Anyway, I do think the problem could have been the error logs, which were getting so full (500M) it was unable to write any more data to the files
Ahh, this is actually quite plausible.  It still shouldn't make your server actually crash (as in, kernel panic or otherwise become unreachable) unless you're using an "all-in-one" root partition or somesuch, but it could certainly cause problems for Centova Cast itself.

I just pushed out a build earlier today which adds log rotation so this shouldn't be a problem moving forward.

I also noticed the user Headshaker also had similar problems so it's not just me, I am curious to know if he had  a lot of clients on it also.
It depends on what problems we're referring to -- I'm still not sure what "crashing" refers to, for example.  In Headshaker's case, my understanding was that most of the problems he was having were fixed by removing and reinstalling Centova Cast, which makes sense given that we are playing rather fast and loose with the extent of the code changes we're making since it's still a beta. :)

Again Steve I am sorry, do not take it personal, who ever did develop or come up with the idea for Centova should be very proud -- NOBODY and NO OTHER PRODUCT CAN COMPARE, they don't even come close. I lost a lot of money because of all this since March 2011, remember the countdown clock, I bought a server just for that back then, and have done the same every few months since then in hopes it would be ready, built sales pages, ect, etc, that is why I get frustrated sometimes, I hate loosing $$
Agh, sorry to hear that.  We are getting close, I can tell you that much.  In fact, I'll tell you more when I contact you directly.  It's just that after a wait this long, I want to make sure that we're releasing something solid and reasonably bug-free, so I'm not going to push it out the door until the bug reports slow to a trickle.
Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:36:51 pm by Centova - Steve B.
Thanks for the breakdown Steve, now the problem I'm having is a ton of clients asking "what happened to the Centova v3" .. every day, almost every hour so it's clear many people are having a hard time with patients (as I do also), but they say good things come to those that wait!

After thinking about it, and mainly after DRO indicated I may have been having problems because I had a newer version of v2 DNAS that I completely forgot about, which would explain a lot, and why the error logs were getting so huge. This also explains why no one else had that problem, just keep that in mind should you ever upgrade sc_serv -- his response @ the end of http://forums.centova.com/index.php?topic=1717.0
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Yup, DrO mentioned that he was going to send me a copy of the latest sc_serv to test with in the near future so when I receive it I'll put it through its paces and see if there are any compatibility issues between it and Centova Cast.  Also the log rotation built into the latest build should help avoid disk space exhaustion issues.

steve: i've not forgotten, just massively behind on things due to other things i've had to work on as you'll need updated docs to know what to check / update / etc that i need to get finished off - hopefully will be through in a week or so.

-daz
No worries and no rush.  We're already going full-tilt here on the CCv3 release candidate so it's one less thing for me to worry about tinkering with at the moment. :)