API Calls with Python

Read 6852 times
Hi, everybody, yes, I'm bumping my head on something that should be simple.

Is anybody using Python to talk to the API, and if so, could somebody posted a short example of Python code that sends a command packet to the Centova api.php that actually works?  No matter how I do mine, I always get the error packet back that says "XML root tag not found".  (Obviously, I am using a root tag.)

I think I'd do better with a code sample.

- Gene
Okay - then ANY other language.  I know a bunch of them, I just need some help getting over this hurdle.

My XML packet:

<?xml version "1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<centovacast>
<request class="system" method="info">
<password>mypassword</password>
<username>myusername</username>
</request>
</centovacast>

What I get back:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><centovacast version="2.2.4" host="mycentovainstallationurl.com"><response type="error"><message>XML root tag not found.</message></response></centovacast>
Looks like your Python code is mangling the XML markup somehow before posting it to the server.  I don't know Python but Googling how to fetch an URL yielded an example that I was easily able to modify to work with Centova Cast:

Code: [Select]
import urllib
params = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>\
<centovacast>\
<request class="system" method="version">\
<password>xxx</password>\
<username>admin</username>\
</request>\
</centovacast>';
f = urllib.urlopen("http://cc.local/api.php", params)
print f.read()

Running the above script yields the expected response for the system.version method:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><centovacast version="2.2.6" host="cc.local"><response type="success"><message>Centova Cast v2.2.6</message><data><row><field name="version">2.2.6</field><field name="loadavg1">0.00</field><field name="loadavg5">0.00</field><field name="loadavg15">0.00</field><field name="uptime">4606995.36</field><field name="os">Debian Linux</field><field name="osversion">2.6.26-2-xen-amd64</field><field name="accounts">15</field><field name="activeaccounts">13</field></row></data></response></centovacast>

As I said I'm not a Python guy so I can't offer any advice beyond telling you that it's pretty much guaranteed to be an issue with your code... sorry.
The guy gives me precisely what I need, then apologizes.  Yeesh.   8)
I can now handle episodic shows without having to manually schedule a new show for every episode (instead replacing the contents of one scheduled event with new contents every week from a list) and weekly prerecorded shows that are uploaded fresh each week without having to manually replace the scheduled show's contents every time there's a new upload.

The API works like a charm, and is dead simple to use.  Very happy.