How much RAM is needed to run this on a server

Read 10270 times
Hello.

If I instal this on a VPS and run around 5-10 stations on it, all with auto DJ what are the Min requirements needed?

RAM?
CPU?

Any info would be appreciated.
Hello.

If I instal this on a VPS and run around 5-10 stations on it, all with auto DJ what are the Min requirements needed?

RAM?
CPU?

Any info would be appreciated.

Resource usage on a Centova Cast server, falls into 3 categories.

1- The Centova Cast web interfase and background scripts.
2.- The streaming server Shoutcast / Icecast
3.- AutoDJ (usually Ices-cc)

1.- The Centova Cast control web interfase works by executing PHP code on your web server and writing data to a database.

Resource usage will depend on you PHP, Apache and MySQL configurations respectively. This is known as a LAMP set up and it will take around 100MB of your RAM (give or take) just to be idle on the background with default settings.

Plus every time you or any user access the web interfase, aditional Apache and PHP instances will begin to run and depending on what you're doing this can take another 20-50 MB and even up to 128mb which is the default limit for PHP scripts, though is rare to see it go that far.

As for CPU, a singe PHP process can take up to 10% of one core of a modern CPU.

2.- Shoutcast / Icecast resource usage is minimal, once setup they will probably just take a couple of MB of your RAM and almost nothing on CPU.

3.- The AutoDJ however, ices-cc could take a lot of CPU if re-encoding is enabled, this will be more noticable in numbers, for 10 stations you may get a little crowded on a cheap VPS.

You can minimize this effect by disabling re-encoding, but it will require a carefull codification of your mp3 files to avoid bitrate mismatch.

RAM usage by autoDJ is also minimal, a few MB at most.

As you can see, in the end it depends on how do you plan to use the server. You can probably squeeze 10 stations on a cheap VPS with 256MB RAM if you're carefull, but it wont be practical if you plan to have 10 diferent clients using the web interfase whenever they want.

With that in mind I would recommend no less than 512 MB RAM for personal use, and 2GB RAM for a service provider.
Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:12:06 pm by Roger