Sources keep crashing on VPS

Read 8485 times
Hi. Before I got CentovaCast I was using ices and icecast/sc_serv. Im hosting my server on a VPS with plenty of resources free.

The ices source kept disconnecting/crashing/closing at random. Usually after a few hours. Sometimes it would go for 3 hours, sometimes 9, but always when I come back the next day ices was no longer running.

I thought Id try centova cast as I was interested in the features, but ices still closes after a while. So I have tried sc_trans, this also has been closing after a while. I have tried both sources, to both servers (icecast too) but the source always crashes after a while.

Could anybody who has any idea of what could case this to happen please give me some idea, Ive tried finding out myself but havent got anywhere over the last few days or more!

As much as I'd like to help, to be honest, I can't see any way this could be related to Centova Cast.  Once a process (like ices or sc_trans) is launched by Centova Cast it's totally independent, and it has no further involvement with Centova Cast.  (Well, I suppose that's not entirely true... in the case of ices, ices does poll Centova Cast for a the filename of a new track to play every time a track ends.  If that failed, though, you'd see a ton of obvious errors in the ices log file.  But with sc_trans it's entirely independent and just reads a playlist file on disk -- no involvement with Centova Cast at all after startup.)

So if ices or (especially) sc_trans is crashing after it's launched, there shouldn't be any way Centova Cast could have any involvement in that.

The best advice I could offer is to follow the instructions in our knowledge for troubleshooting ices problems... that'll tell you exactly what's happening when ices exits and should be valuable in determining what's up.
OK Thanks, I'll see how I get on with that document.

Though I did disable autodj and am using a manual startup/config of ices and have disabled reencoding and there has been no crash in days.

Not sure whats up with the reencoding as it was working fine, apart from crashes every few hours. Maybe I'll try reinstall libmp3lame or whatever it is.

Thanks.