Problems running Icecast streams on Debian 64-bit system

Read 23328 times
Hello,

we are running Centovacast on a Debian 64 bit system. Initially during the setup procedure we configured the server for shoutcast which is running fine. But as there is a problem with the autodj function we now also installed icecast. This seems to be running well on the server itself and Centovacast seems to be configured OK according to your manuals.

But when I am trying to start a server configured for ices2 stream, I am getting this error message:

"Application /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2 does not exist."

Running this path on the server via ssh reads as follows:

host:~#   /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2
/home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisenc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Originally there was a problem with access rights that I changed like this:

host:~# ls -l  /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 centovacast centovacast 76080  2. Apr 2009  /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2

=> Any ideas about that?

Next when I am trying to start a server configured for ices stream I get this log here:

Diagnostic output from streaming software:
===============================================================================

Logfile opened
DEBUG: Sending following information to libshout:
DEBUG: Stream: 0
DEBUG: Host: 85.25.147.136:8005 (protocol: http)
DEBUG: Mount: /autodj, Password: ***
DEBUG: Name: ices stream   URL: http://localhost/
DEBUG: Genre: Unspecified   Desc: Default description
DEBUG: Bitrate: 128   Public: 0
DEBUG: Dump file: (null)
DEBUG: Initializing playlist handler...
DEBUG: Initializing builting playlist handler...
Could not find a valid playlist file.
DEBUG: Crossfader shutting down
Ices Exiting...

Last 25 lines from the relevant log file:

Ices Exiting...
Logfile opened
DEBUG: Sending following information to libshout:
DEBUG: Stream: 0
Ices Exiting...

=> It looks as if there was a problem with the playlist. But as far as I can see, there should be a valid list available for this server.

--

Thank you very much for your help,
Felix
host:~#   /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2
/home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisenc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That means ices2 is not installed correctly -- you're missing some shared libraries.  Reinstall ices2 to correct this.

Next when I am trying to start a server configured for ices stream I get this log here:

That means you've installed ices and configured it in Centova Cast as ices-cc, or vice-versa.  They use entirely different playlist input systems which is why you'll get a playlist error if you specify one when you've actually installed the other.
Hello Steve,

thanks for your reply! After reinstalling icecast2 it seems as if we had to configure the /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml configuration script. What users would you suggest to add here? Or will the users be added automatically with the server configuration?

I also configured an ices-cc stream now. With this the server is starting correctly. But I can't hear anything yet. Do I have to add a virtual directory for the vhost by chance?

--

Thanks a lot
and I am wishing you a nice week,
Felix
In addition, trying to set up a Shoutcast ices-cc stream is producing this error log:

Diagnostic output from streaming software:

** SHOUTcast Distributed Network Audio Server
** Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Nullsoft, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
** Use "sc_serv filename.ini" to specify an ini file.

Last 21 lines from the relevant log file:

[SHOUTcast] DNAS/Linux v1.9.8 (Feb 28 2007) starting up...
 [main] pid: 22693
 [main] loaded config from /home/centovacast/vhosts/test6/etc/server.conf
 [main] initializing (usermax:10 portbase:8009)...
 [main] No ban file found (etc/sc_serv.ban)
 [main] No rip file found (etc/sc_serv.rip)
 [main] opening source socket
 [main] source thread starting
 [main] opening client socket
 [main] error opening client socket! FATAL ERROR! Some other process is using this port!
 [SHOUTcast] DNAS/Linux v1.9.8 (Feb 28 2007) starting up...
 [main] pid: 22707
 [main] loaded config from /home/centovacast/vhosts/test6/etc/server.conf
 [main] initializing (usermax:10 portbase:8009)...
 [main] No ban file found (etc/sc_serv.ban)
 [main] No rip file found (etc/sc_serv.rip)
 [main] opening source socket
 [main] source thread starting
 [main] opening client socket
 [source] listening for connection on port 8010
 [main] error opening client socket! FATAL ERROR! Some other process is using this port!

=> What do you think about this?

--

Regards,
Felix
Update: we got the ices-cc stream running now. My friend configured the server correctly.

But I would still like to know regarding the icecast.xml configuration?

--

Thanks,
Felix
Hello Steve,

I would appreciate your advice for my current problems running icecast2: I reinstalled icecast2 as you mentioned. Now I would like to know how to configure the icecast.xml configuration file? Do I only have to set passwords or is there still anything else to do?

host: # icecast -c /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml
Server startup failed. Exiting

=> What does this mean?

Besides I am still getting the same error with Centovacast as mentioned above:

Application /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2 does not exist.

host: # /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2

--

Thank you very much for help,
Felix
This would be the error log, when trying to start the server configured for ices2 stream:

[2010-07-13 21:23:24] DBUG yp/yp_recheck_config Updating YP configuration [2010-07-13 21:23:24] INFO yp/yp_update_thread YP update thread started [2010-07-13 21:23:24] WARN source/source_fallback_file unable to open file "web/live" [2010-07-13 21:23:24] INFO connection/get_ssl_certificate No SSL capability [2010-07-13 21:23:24] WARN source/source_fallback_file unable to open file "web/autodj" [2010-07-13 21:23:25] INFO sighandler/_sig_die Caught signal 15, shutting down... [2010-07-13 21:23:25] DBUG connection/_handle_connection Connection thread done [2010-07-13 21:23:25] INFO main/main Shutting down [2010-07-13 21:23:25] INFO fserve/fserve_shutdown file serving thread stopped [2010-07-13 21:23:25] DBUG slave/slave_shutdown waiting for slave thread [2010-07-13 21:23:25] INFO slave/_slave_thread shutting down current relays [2010-07-13 21:23:25] INFO slave/_slave_thread Slave thread shutdown complete [2010-07-13 21:23:25] INFO auth/auth_shutdown Auth shutdown
Update: icecast2 is now starting from ssh-console. But I am still getting the same error message with Centovacast.

host:~# /etc/init.d/icecast2 start
Starting icecast2:
host:~# /etc/init.d/icecast2 stop
Stopping icecast2: icecast2.

Application /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2 does not exist. (see error log from posting above for details)

--

Desperate,
Felix

Now I would like to know how to configure the icecast.xml configuration file?

You don't need to.

host: # icecast -c /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml
Server startup failed. Exiting

=> What does this mean?

No idea offhand, but /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml is not used by Centova Cast at all.

host: # /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2

I explained this in my earlier post -- this means ices2 can't load the libraries it depends on.  Sorry I can't offer more specific advice than that (the exact problem could be just about anything) but it definitely means ices2 was not installed correctly.  To fix it, I'd recommend deleting whatever ices2 files you've got now and installing a fresh copy.  If you still can't get it going, you'd need to contact the relevant mailing list for ices2 to get further support for their software... unfortunately I don't use ices2 myself (beyond integration with Centova Cast) so I'm not an expert at troubleshooting issues with it.

Update: icecast2 is now starting from ssh-console. But I am still getting the same error message with Centovacast.

What error?  You've posted a number of errors regarding ices2 but none regarding IceCast... what error is Centova Cast giving you in regard to IceCast?
Good morning Steve,

thanks for your reply!

The error message with the icecast2 stream within Centovacast is still as follows:

Running this path on the server via ssh reads like this:

host:# /home/centovacast/system/sources/ices2/bin/ices2

=> It looks like that I could have installed the 32bit version of libvorbisenc? I am not sure, if I will be able to fix this, because I couldn't get all the required programs with the apt-get command and therefore had to install some packages by compiling from source.

On the other hand, according to your homepage, we could be fine with the ices-cc stream that I got up and running already.  This seems to provide much more possibilities anyways. I have to check this with my friend.

=> What do you think about this?

--

Thanks a lot,
Felix
The error message with the icecast2 stream within Centovacast is still as follows:

That error message is in regard to ices2, not Icecast.  It may be a good idea for me to double-check at this point that this was just a slip of the tongue (keyboard?) and that you really do know the difference between the two...?  ices2 is a completely different program than Icecast, and is not a streaming server at all, but a streaming source.  You can't substitute one for the other.

If you want to install Icecast, make sure you're installing the Debian 'icecast2' package, not the Debian 'ices2' package which is something completely different.

=> It looks like that I could have installed the 32bit version of libvorbisenc?

Yup that's quite possible... if you get mismatched library architectures that can result in error message which seem to indicate that the file doesn't exist, even if it does.

I am not sure, if I will be able to fix this, because I couldn't get all the required programs with the apt-get command and therefore had to install some packages by compiling from source.

Most likely, there's your problem right there.  Regardless of which you're trying to install (icecast2 or ices2) the Debian apt repository should provide you with a complete, working copy of whichever one you're trying to install.  I'm a Debian fanatic myself, so almost all of our dev and production machines are Debian-based (a mix of 32- and 64-bit architectures) and I've never had any problems installing Icecast nor ices2 under Etch or Lenny.  Not sure I tried with 64-bit Etch (did Etch come in a 64bit edition?) but I definitely have both running under 64-bit Lenny right now with no problems.

Should be as simple as:
apt-get update
apt-get install ices2

(or 'apt-get install icecast2' if that's what you're really trying to do)

Back to your comment, the packages in the Debian apt repository are linked against the libraries in the apt repository.  If you build your own libraries instead, there's a chance they *may* work, but the odds are against you... more likely you'll get problems like the one you're encountering now, or random crashes, etc.

On the other hand, according to your homepage, we could be fine with the ices-cc stream that I got up and running already.

That's kind of apples to oranges.  ices-cc is for MP3 streams, ices2 is for Ogg/Vorbis streams.  If you're streaming in MP3 format you *need* ices-cc.  If you're streaming in Ogg/Vorbis format, you *need* ices2.  The features provided by ices-cc and ices2 are nearly identical aside from the audio formats they broadcast in, but unless you're familiar with Ogg/Vorbis and know you want to set up an Ogg stream, ices2 won't work for you and you'll need ices-cc.
Hello Steve,

thanks a lot for your comments! I will discuss this next week with my friend. He says that he has got troubles running the AutoDJ with Shoutcast that's why he wants to switch to Shoutcast. As I am not familiar with the software, I don't understand what he is trying to do exactly. I shall show me and than we have to decide, whether we are still able to reinstall the software somehow or better set up the server again from scratch.

In any ways you made a good point about the difference between icecast2 and ices2. I will keep that in mind.

--

Have a nice week,
Felix