AutoDJ metadat leaking into live stream

Read 11918 times
I'm noticing an interesting situation with confusion of metadata.

In the AutoDJ I have interval playlists which consist of sponsor messages and station idents, set to play one random item from the list every 30 and 60 minutes respectively.  There is also a general rotation playlist.

To stream live to the server I deactivate the autoDJ with the activate/deactivate source button and begin streaming. However, while monitoring the stream I am seeing occasional autostream data leaking into the metadata displayed in the player. This would obviously play havoc with our licensing documentation which requires us to keep a log of content played and that is obviously derived from the metadata record.

I've seen this before, when two live streaming clients were contending for the server: one was driving the stream but the metadata from the other stream was also getting through, interleaved with the actual playing stream data.

However in this case the autoDJ is explicitly turned off. What is going on? This is a significant issue for us as the logging capability was a major reason for choosing Centova Cast.

It should be noted that we have the failsafe autoDJ trigger enabled so the cron job retriggers autoDJ if our live presenter goes off the air. Could this be causing the problem? We'll investigate this our end by disabling the failsafe and monitoring the metadata, but it really should not be happening. Any ideas?
Right, this appears to be a bug.

To manifest this apparent bug, first ensure that you are running a Shoutcast server, and that the system is configured for autoDJ Failsafe.

Now set up a playlist in AutoDJ and ensure that it plays out correctly.
Monitor the audio and metadata at the stream output with a player. Check that the autoDJ playlist metada is displayed.
Now deactivate the autoDJ and begin live streaming from a remote source with metadata. You should see the remote metadata displayed on the player (restart player if necessary).
At some point you will see the remote metadata replaced by the metadata from an item in the autoDJ playlist.
The audio from the remote source will not be affected - only the metadata.
When the remote source moves to the next track in its own playlist, the metadata display on the player will change and display the correct remote metadata.
EXACTLY FIVE MINUTES after the autoDJ metadata was displayed you will see it again, displaying another track's metadata from the autoDJ playlist.

You can also see the rogue metadata appear in the CentovaCast "recent tracks" display list and also as it occurs, at the bottom of the CentovaCast screen.

I hypothesise that the cron job is kicking in the autoDJ failsafe mechanism which tries to start up and issues metadata. It immediately fails and goes back to sleep, until the cron job kicks it into action again 5 minutes later.

If you require your metadata record to be accurate, eg for licensing purposes, this may render the autoDJ failsafe mechanism unusable.
This is definitely associated with the autoDJ failsafe setting. If you turn failsafe off, you no longer get metadata from the AutoDJ leaking into your live stream.

However you also lose the failsafe capability, unfortunately.

Is there a solution to this? I seem to recall that there is a Shoutcast setting that ensures that only metadata from the current IP address can get into the stream? That should do it…