icecast stopping without a reason...

Read 9047 times
Hello all,

I've got the latest stable version of Icecast installed on a CentOS 5.* server without an issue during the installation.
Every 10-12 hours icecast is stopped responding and need to start server manually via the Centova cast interface.

I can't figure out anything from centova logs and their support answered in my question that icecast is very buggy and they do not support it.

Any help is much appreciated.
We also used to have problem with IceCast a few years ago, stream would stop for no reason --it turned out to happen only on the streams with over 5GIG of mp3's, the server was not fast enough to scan the database for new songs (this is what Centova told us, at the time we really didn't buy that excuse but it turned out to be true - sorry Centova!), since we have used only at least Quad-Core's with at least 8G of RAM and have not had a problem since. Not saying you need all that but it can't hurt to over do it when it comes to SHOUTcast/Icecast streams.

Icecast, in fact, runs great and is very under rated - Live DJ's love it - it detect's the live source has connected and automatically switches from auto dj to live.

I saw other's spamming so here's my spam! http://myautodj.com/ice.php
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Quality SHOUTcast Hosting http://myautodj.com
SHOUTcast Widgets http://shoutcastwidgets.com
Thanks for the reply.
The server that runs icecast is a quad core xeon with 8GB RAM and load is always lower than 0.5 so speed is not an issue.
I've read a few posts and just increazed the queue size  to check if there is any difference.

I'll have the results by tomorrow as it is up and running at the moment.
Quote from: mrdebian
I've got the latest stable version of Icecast installed on a CentOS 5.* server without an issue during the installation.
Every 10-12 hours icecast is stopped responding and need to start server manually via the Centova cast interface.
If IceCast stops responding (i.e., it actually freezes up) then something is almost certainly wrong with your IceCast build... there's really nothing in Centova Cast (which is an entirely separate and self-contained application) that could cause your IceCast process to freeze up.

I can't figure out anything from centova logs
You won't find anything about IceCast in the Centova Cast logs... you'll want to look in your IceCast logs, although if IceCast is actually freezing you may or may not find much of interest there.

and their support answered in my question that icecast is very buggy and they do not support it.
Hopefully that first bit is not exactly what was said -- IceCast is probably the least buggy streaming server out there. :)

Quote from: My Auto DJ
We also used to have problem with IceCast a few years ago, stream would stop for no reason --it turned out to happen only on the streams with over 5GIG of mp3's, the server was not fast enough to scan the database for new songs
This will cause the autoDJ to stop, but it won't cause IceCast to stop responding or freeze.

Also to be clear, the problem My AutoDJ described is more about the quantity of MP3s than their size.  If you have five 1GB MP3s it's not going to be a problem at all... whereas if you have 5000 1MB MP3s, your MySQL server needs enough CPU resources to be able to process all 5000 of them, figure out (and exclude) the ones have played in the past few hours, then apply the playlist scheduling criteria to select a track from the remaining MP3s.  All of that needs to take place in under a second or so, so that the name of the next track is available by the time the current song ends.  And the server needs to be powerful enough that MySQL can do it without hogging so much CPU time that the icecast process gets starved.  If any of that fails, the autoDJ is going to either start stuttering, or stall out completely.

On most modern servers it's not usually an issue, and you don't usually need "big iron" to accomplish it... but if your server is already under load and/or under-spec'd, and you add a few huge stations to it, it may become a problem.  And it may only be intermittent, i.e., things may work fine until, by random chance, three big stations happen to have songs end at the same time.  If CC queries MySQL for all 3 stations' next songs simultaneously, and MySQL doesn't have enough CPU resources to return them all in a timely manner, the autoDJs will choke. :)

I haven't received any errors while building icecast so can't understand how it might be a problem with the compilation.

I can't also find any icecast logs apart from those under /home/centovacast/vhost.....

Any help how to debug this thing will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Just an update.
I've migrate that server to a new one and same problem is happening only with Icecast and auto dj.
When the radio is streaming live, never got problems. When they start using the autodj once every 1/3 days is stopping without a reason.

Any help is much appreciated.
If it is autodj, my guess is that your server does not have enough resources to run it properly.
Stream101 || Affordable Media Solutions
http://www.stream101.com | (616) 277-7280