support symlink

Read 8724 times
Please consider supporting symlinks in the media library!
you can use bind mounts instead, which are pretty much the same thing, but more secure
AlexiuB, consider the case of private reselling where big size folders with mp3s must be shared to multiple (more than 10) streams. Symlink support was one of the most important elements in v2, I would appreciate to know the reason(s) you have disabled it in v3.   
AlexiuB, consider the case of private reselling where big size folders with mp3s must be shared to multiple (more than 10) streams. Symlink support was one of the most important elements in v2, I would appreciate to know the reason(s) you have disabled it in v3.   

Hello Pavlos

The symlink support has not been "disabled" as you mentioned, on v3 Centova Cast has switched from an application (dependant on third-party software) to a self contained true control system, similar to others such as Plesk or Cpanel that require a chrooted enviroment and unfortunately, symlinks within a chrooted enviroment pointing to an external location cannot be followed.

Besides, the use of mount points is fairly similar, and also more secure than symlinks. I've personally deployed servers with dozens of mounts and has virtually no impact on system administration.
Hi Roger,

Indeed symlink is not "disabled" on v3 CC, however, it fails to update and that's why I used the word "disabled". Can you please fix it?
Hi Roger,

Indeed symlink is not "disabled" on v3 CC, however, it fails to update and that's why I used the word "disabled". Can you please fix it?

Unfortunately, there is nothing to "fix", the linux kernel simply won't allow a chrooted user to follow symlinks outside its own environment.